Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Scourging according to St. Faustina Kowalska

"I saw the Lord Jesus tied to a pillar, stripped of His clothes, and the scourging began immediately. I saw four men who took turns at striking the Lord with scourges. My heart almost stopped at the sight of these tortures" (445). "I saw how the Lord Jesus suffered as He was being scourged. Oh, such an inconceivable agony! … His blood flowed to the ground, and in some places His flesh started to fall off. I saw a few bare bones on His back. The meek Jesus moaned softly and sighed" (188). The Lord said to me, “I suffer even greater pain than that which you see.” And Jesus gave me to know for what sins He subjected himself to the scourging: these are sins of impurity. Oh, how dreadful was Jesus’ moral suffering during the scourging (445)! For the sake of His sorrowful passion, I invite you all to live a chaste life until marriage †
by: The Diary of Saint Faustina