Wednesday, September 21, 2011

You Ask Me

You asked me for my hands
that you might use them for your purpose.
I gave them for a moment, then withdrew them, for the work was hard.

You asked me for my eyes
to see the pain of poverty.
I closed them for I did not want to see.

You asked me for my voice
to speak out against injustice.
I gave you a whisper for I did not want to be accused.

You asked me for my life
that you might work through me.
I gave a small part that I might not get too involved.

Lord, forgive my calculated efforts to serve you -
only when it is convenient for me to do so,
only when it is safe to do so, and
only with those who make it easy to do so.

Renew me and send me out as a usable instrument that I might take seriously the meaning of your Cross.
Amen!



Adapted :- HERALD (The Catholic Weekly) M'sia.