Friday, February 10, 2012

Effect of Holy Baptism on the Soul

In a private room next to mine there was a Jewish woman who was seriously ill. I went to see her three days ago and she was deeply pained at the thought that she would soon die without having her soul cleansed by the grace of Baptism. ...I felt inspired to pray before the image which Jesus had instructed me to have painted. I said, "Lord, You Yourself told me that You would grant many graces through this image. I ask You then for the grace of Holy Baptism for this Jewish lady. ."...
..The moment came when the sick woman began to lose consciousness, and as a result, in order to save her, they...went off...to find help. And so the patient was left alone, and Sister baptised her, and before they had all rushed back, her soul was beautiful, adorned with God's grace. Her final agony began immediately, but it did not last long. It was as if fell asleep. All of a sudden, I saw her soul ascending to heaven in wondrous beauty. Oh how beautiful is a soul with sanctifying grace! Joy flooded my heart that before this image I had received so great grace for this soul. (2; 916)